Monday, January 12, 2009


I think everyone should work in the restaurant business for at least six months.
Maybe next time you go out for dinner or drinks you'll have a little more respect for your bartender or waiter (excuse me, I mean "server". I guess it's politically correct now to call them "servers". But I'm old-school: to me, they are either a bartender or a waiter/waitress).
Yeah, I know, garbage collectors are now "sanitation engineers," and teachers are "educators."
I remember when the employment office was just that: employment office. Now it's "human resources."
There's dignity in every occupation. Just be the best at whatever you do.
I really respect anyone who will do almost anything to make a living. (As long as it's legal, sincere, and ethical).
But I prefer the old terms. I guess it's just me.
Oh well...................

Workers in the food/beverage industry are there to serve you. They don't get paid much by their employer. For that hour or two that you're there, they are your employee. You are buying the product (food/drink), from the establishment. But that bartender/waiter is working for you, and it's up to you to pay him a decent wage (i.e.: "tip"). That's just the way it is.
I agree: the tip reflects the service.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of "freeloaders" working in the restaurant industry.
Lousy service equals lousy tip. You know that and they know that.
But if you get great service, don't be a cheapskate and leave a cheap tip.
That bartender/waiter has been doing his best to make sure you have a great time.
Worst case for great service: the "verbal tip":
"Hey, we had a great time, the food was great, and your service was excellent!"
Then the tip line reads 12%.
Thanks, buddy, hope to see you again!

When I greet a guest, I usually ask: "Good evening, how are you?"
I expect something like: "I'm fine, thank you."
I really don't get it when they respond with: "what kind of wine do you have?"
What type of response is that to "Good evening, how are you?!"
Have some courtesy and respect.
We're human beings, too, with feelings.

If you're miserable, stay home.
Don't bring your misery to my place of work.
I want to have a good time at work, and I want you to enjoy your experience of sitting at my bar.
I really enjoy nice and polite people that I wait on.
Such a pleasure to have people like that to wait on!

0 comments:

 

old school cocktails for Ipiet © 2008