Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Time in a Bottle


Why does every place I work end up closing? Rock Creek closed New Year's Eve. The Bethesda, Maryland location. The Washington, DC spot closed a while back, then I eventually went to the Bethesda location. Then that one bit the dust! My resume is great, having worked at top restaurants/bars in the DC area. But the reason for leaving every one: they all closed. Seems like I may be a bad omen. One interview I had, the manager said that to me. "Hey, we're afraid to hire you. We don't want to wind up closing!" Oh well, such is life.
I'd still be at Duke Zeibert's if they hadn't closed in 1994.
Still can't figure out why some of these places would rather have some young bartender who really doesn't know what he's doing behind the wood. You'd think they'd rather hire an older, experienced professional. Someone who does it for a career, and takes a lot of pride in the art of bartending and knows how to make classic cocktails.
Some things in life I guess I'll never understand. Kind of like quantum physics or differential equations.
Spending a lot of time reading. Just finished some really great works by William Trevor, Ann Beattie, Charles Baxter, Evelyn Waugh, David Foster Wallace, Jonathan Franzen, Alexandre Dumas, Michael Chabon, etc. Dumas was such a natural born story-teller. The old-fashioned kind.
Also been doing some writing. Have a lot of articles out there circulating with different magazines.
I remember Margaret Hennessey, my English 101-102 instructor at Montgomery College, telling me that I would never have a problem with writing.
Just finished a fiction writing workshop at the Writer's Center in Bethesda, Maryland. Started a short story about a bartender, of all things. The instructor seemed to like it. I'm going to continue with it, and see where it goes.
I've published about two dozen articles over the years, but have never pursued it full-time.
But now that I've got some time on my hands...................
Meanwhile, I've got more resumes to get out!

0 comments:

 

old school cocktails for Ipiet © 2008